Saturday, January 7, 2012

2012 Bitch


"Philosophy is the shit, dude." - Socrates

That’s right! In case you didn’t know.

Last Thursday we had our park day with one of the homeschool groups we belong too. This is a good group because it is small, and for the most part all girls my girls’ age.

One of the moms there, Andrea, bought a neat lesson course. It’s philosophy for young elementary aged kids. She wanted to give it a try in a small group and since we met once a week for the park day anyway, it was worth a shot.

We met up at the top of the hill, very scenic, in a large wooden gazebo. The weather was perfect. The ladies and I sat quietly after gathering the children onto a red blanket. Of course the kids are used to running around and generally going nuts on park day, so a took a while to settle them down.

When they finally stopped jumping around like electrons Andrea started the lesson.

Andrea: “Ok. Did your mom or dad tell you what we are doing today?”

Zoey: “No.”

Me: “Yes I did!”

Andrea: “Well, we’re going to read a short story and then talk about it. Is that ok?”

Zoey: “2012 bitch!”

And she said it like she had just dunked over Shaquille O’Neal. Of course all eyes are on me.

My first instinct was to pretend she wasn’t my kid. My second was to shrug and say, “Well… it is.” Instead I said, “I have no idea…”

But one of the other moms came to my rescue. She pointed out it was written in heavy black marker all over the wooden top beams of the gazebo. I hadn’t seen it because I was wearing sunglasses.

All I can say is she knows how to sound out new words. My girls can read.

I believe we've already answered this question.

4 comments:

  1. Out of the mouths of babes!

    OMGosh, if you haven't already figured it out, you are in for the most rewarding adventure of your life as a homeschooling mom.

    There will be times when you are so happy "YOU" were the one able to teach them readin', writin' and 'rithmetic. There will be times you'll want to pull your hair out. LOL Embrace ALL these times!

    I tell you this as the mom of three teens--one of whom has graduated and is traveling now.

    Keep up the good work!

    Bonnie
    www.bonniesheartandhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. *dad* instead of mom in paragraph one.

    You know, I didn't realize who you are until a minute ago. I'm friend's with your wife via couponing. I was thinking of your family while reading this and then I looked over and saw your lovely wife's pic as one of your friends. Funny how God does that.

    I love the fact that you are homeschooling. What a lovely message of love you are giving to
    them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bonnie for the comments and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was the highlight of my day, and, well, it is 2012.

    ReplyDelete